I am a pasta-holic, seriously, just feed me all the pasta. This creamy pasta salad recipe is super easy and tastes even better after it’s been in the fridge overnight. I’ll eat it for pretty much ever meal until it’s all gone, it’s that good. This recipe is great for busy nights and is especially easy if you take the lazy route (like me) and buy everything pre-cut/shredded.
While my picky eater won’t even try it, the other two kids LOVE it. I figure 4 out of 5 isn’t too bad!
So, if you love pasta and are looking for a quick, easy weeknight dish give this a go and let me know what you think.
As always, gather your ingredients. I know this looks like a lot, but it really comes together really quick, especially if you use pre-cut ham and olives and pre-shredded cheese.
Cook the rotini in salted water as per the package directions. Once it’s done cooking be sure to rinse it in cold water to stop the cooking process. This pasta salad is also supposed to be served cold so I usually chuck a few ice cubes in the strainer to help cool the rotini down.
If you need to, cube or slice your ham and olives. Shred the cheese and slice the green onions. Pop open the peas and drain all the liquid. Combine all of this together in a large bowl along with the pasta. My poor green onions were in the fridge for a couple of days too many so into the trash can they went. RIP poor green onions..
Time to make the sauce…the best part. In all honesty, I’ve been making this for so long that I no longer measure anything. I can eyeball it all and just taste and make adjustments as I go. However, in the recipe below I measured as I adjusted and got it all neat for you. You’re welcome! Mix the Miracle Whip, oil, vinegar, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper into a small bowl. Once it’s mixed well dump it onto the pasta mixture and stir it around until everything is coated.
If you have time put it in the fridge for a few hours, otherwise just make a big bowl and enjoy.
- 16 oz rotini plain or garden is fine
- 8 oz shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 8.5 oz can sweet peas
- sliced olives - the more the merrier
- 12 oz cubed ham
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking cut up your green onions, cheese, olives and ham.
- In a cereal bowl combine miracle whip, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper and combine well to make dressing. Set aside.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente turn off heat and drain. Rinse with cold water until pasta is cool.
- In either a large bowl or the pan you cooked the pasta in (I usually run under cold water for a few minutes to cool the pan down) combine the pasta and dressing and stir until well coated.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients gently to coat with dressing.
- If you have time refrigerate until everything is well chilled. Otherwise eat and enjoy!
If you give this recipe a try be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you think of it!